Friday, June 29, 2007

Album Review: "5th Gear" by Brad Paisley (2007)

You know that saying, "this is the feel good movie of the year"? Imagine for a minute if there was such a thing for fellas like me, and this album would be it.

Brad Paisley is one of the best kept secrets in all of pop culture today. Take a look at this video and tell me that I'm wrong about that. (You can't.) Nashville took notice long ago, he's now regularly playing to arenas around North America, and I think that those who could set aside their preconceived notions about steel guitars and fiddles could also find a lot to like from this guy. His latest album proves exactly why. There are tons of great tunes to be found here from the hilarious "Online" to the gorgeous "Oh Love", a duet with Carrie Underwood that is in keeping with Paisley's tradition of recording with stellar female vocalists like Chely Wright, Dolly Parton and Alison Krauss. Some boys may also find a tickle in their throat when they listen to the track titled "Letter to Me" for the first time, a little ditty Paisley writes to his 17-year old self from his own early to mid-30s perspective. You have to hear it for yourself, but it really is poetry set to music in the best traditions of real, honest, authenticity.

There are a couple of clunkers here, but with sixteen songs to choose from, that's not bad. Not bad at all. I'd say overall it's right up there with any of his previous albums even if pound for pound there are tracks on "Time Well Wasted" and "Celebrity" that are stronger, but for my money, this is the must-have country album of the summer.

Overall rating: 8.75/10

3 Comments:

At 10:00 PM, Blogger David said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 10:01 PM, Blogger David said...

I totally agree. This has some of his best material. For my money, the song ,Better Than This is the best.

 
At 2:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like his songs a lot, h/t to David for intorducing his music to me... but it seems to me he spends too much time on joke songs like Ticks and Alcholol. He releases one every album and that is why most non-serious country fans will know him for.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home