Friday, June 22, 2007

Friday digest

- The outfit which almost single-handedly (and quite thankfully) wiped grunge off the pop music map in the mid-to-late 1990s is reuniting for a 25-date world tour.

I am intrigued by the possibilities.

- Before everyone gets all high and mighty about Gitmo's impending closure, I'd urge them to put it alongside some of the real atrocities that are taking place all over the world for a little context, especially those which occur at the hands of those for whom the Left repeatedly excuses.

- By the way, didn't Western feminists fight like hell against subjugation like this? I don't hear them speaking up now. Why not? Maybe, like Sunera Thobani, Women's Studies prof at the University of British Columbia and former president of the National Action Committee on the Status of Women, they're more concerned with the fascists on Pennsylvania Avenue and Downing Street than the small matter of Muslim women in London who want the right to, oh, I dunno, show their faces?

- Addictions to both video games and the Internet are about to be classified as the latest social diseases by the mental health profession.

As someone who absolutely loves the Internet and, according to my wife, spends far too much time online, I lay the blame for this at the feet of Al Gore. After all, he invented the damn thing, so how can it be my fault?!?

- See you two broken-down old ham n' eggers later. I'm looking forward to not having to tune into the American broadcast of the Stanley Cup playoffs next year if I want to hear announcers who actually know who plays on which team.

8 Comments:

At 1:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, your link on the Gitmo debacle is on the mark. I had the chance to see the new film A Mighty Heart earlier this week and I was disturbed and down right annoyed by the political leanings of the film. This director made a film a few years ago The Road to Guantanamo which told the story of the Tipton Three, they were a trio of men wrongly imprisoned and tortured at Gitmo. I was shaking my head as in A Mighty Heart there is a sequence where a Pakistani police captain physically susses out Ahmed Omar Saeed Sheikh's name from a suspected liaison, the director doesn't call for the same righteous disapproval he demanded with Road to Guantanamo's torture sequences. Your link underscores what I felt during the film.

 
At 1:50 PM, Blogger Road Hammer said...

Ed, not having seen "The Road to Guantanamo", I take it you are suggesting that the director lets the Pakistani cop off the hook during "A Mighty Heart" in a way he doesn't concerning the US in his previous film?

 
At 1:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hammer... I don't get your constant dismissal of the early 90s Seattle sound? As someone who likes lound, powerful sounds, I don't get why you aren't into Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots, etc..?

Is it because it knocked metal off its mid-late 80s popularity heights?

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger Road Hammer said...

It's because I like melody, solos and the occasional vibe that is something other than one of constant moping, dread and/or gloom.

I love STP and Alice in Chains, btw.

 
At 2:15 PM, Blogger Kinger said...

Roadie,

A nice selection of articles to choose from today.

I had forgotten just how inflammatory Ms. Thobani's comments were immediately after 9/11.

And I certainly had the same reaction as you when I read that Bob and Harry were gradually being put out to pasture. Jim Hughson is one of the best play by play guys in the business.

I wondered just how many Canadians tuned into NBC to watch the finals. I know I did. And the novel idea of showing Canada more than just games of the worst team in the country gives us hope that Mother Corp. may be finally getting it.

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger Road Hammer said...

I wonder if Doc Emrick would move North. That would be excellent.

 
At 2:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, it is sadly hypocritical. The tragedy of the Tipton Three was their wrongful imprisonment not the "torture" at the Gitmo. Yes, these men were subjected to severe emotional and mental duress but they weren't losing fingers or having their bodies used as ashtrays. Countries like Iran, Egypt and Pakistan are the sites of true-blue horrendous torture. Where is the outrage?

 
At 2:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Other than that, A Mighty Heart is a solid film by-the-way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home