Saturday, June 23, 2007

Saturday digest

- Canadian politician Belinda Stronach was recently treated for breast cancer at a Toronto-area hospital. I don't wish to make light of the situation, but I can't help but wonder if she used the single pay/single provider public health system, or went to a private clinic. If so, it would set her aside from a long line of other Trudeaupians like Paul Martin, Joe Clark and Jack Layton - not that I would blame her in the least.

- This weekend's must-read comes from the venerable VDH, who stands in stark contrast to the likes of Bono's buddy Jeffrey Sachs, who blames the US and Israel for the current turmoil in the Middle East because they wouldn't legitimize Hamas. Iran doesn't even garner a mention in Sachs' piece. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that giving terrorists credibility has worked in the past. (Check under Arafat, Yasser for a brief explanation as to why.)

- The cartoon above refers to an anti-poverty plan floated this week by New York mayor and erstwhile Presidential candidate Mike Bloomberg, whereby the government would pay people bonuses for getting a library card, going to the dentist, attending parent-teacher night and holding down a job. While I'm all for incentives, this strikes me as rewarding people for doing things that they should be doing anyways. What's next - giving people money for not smoking or overeating?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home