Saturday, March 11, 2006

Restaurant Review: The Highlander Pub, Ottawa, ON


Found my way to the Highlander Pub last night for dinner after a few drinks at the swanky but not overly pretentious Metropolitain for a friend's going-away party. About seven of us comfortably settled into a back booth thanks to the staff, who were extremely patient, attentive and accomodating despite the fact that group seating was rather hard to come by. Strong beer and scotch list, as one would expect from a Scottish pub, with very tasteful decor (wood throughout, fireplaces and a tartan theme as well) and the typical live music, thankfully played at a reasonable volume (which is less than I can say for most of Ottawa's UK-pubs).

I ordered up the fish and chips (a good measuring stick, I figure) and I gotta say that they were among the best I've ever had anywhere. Not soggy, crispy, hot, and with a nice red cabbage coleslaw on the side. They also provided me with a generous amount of tartar sauce for dipping, which is always a plus in my books (I hate running out, then having to track down a server for more, while your fish is doing nothing but getting cold.)

It was also no problem to get separate bills and pay via Interac, right when I wanted to leave. You never realize how little things like that can enhance your dining experience until they're there.

Good stuff. I urge you to drop by if you're in the area.

Overall rating: 9.5/10

5 Comments:

At 12:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

where is it?

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger Road Hammer said...

On Rideau, right across from the Rideau Centre.

 
At 10:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been... wasn't that impressed, though I didn't eat there. Not a winning location if you ask me.

It seemed a little dank when I was there, perhaps they have reno'd it since I was there.

 
At 12:00 PM, Blogger mix tape said...

does it beat the $12.95er?

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger Road Hammer said...

The $12.95er referred to by mix.tape is found at Pubwell's, which I'll review at a later date. In response ... I can't compare fish n' chips to steak because they're entirely different.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home