Thursday, February 23, 2006

The case against public funding of Catholic schools

Here's a blogger who basically says that if you don't like the fact that Catholic school systems are publicly funded, that's your problem.

Most people who know me know that I'm a pretty Catholic guy. In fact, I'd say I'm about as Catholic as it gets. What that means is that I am a walking, talking contradiction in terms. I believe in Jesus, I love God, and I happily go to church probably way more often than most others my age, however, I am also a raging capitalist with a rather healthy libertarian bent who thinks that booze, peeler bars, cigars, and heavy metal are all good fun.

I have also been known to be the master of my domain from time to time.

All of the challenges inherent in being a Catholic is really something you can truly understand if you are one, what with all of the confusion that goes along with it. That being said, I am very much against what the fellow linked to above says regarding the right of Catholic schools to be publicly funded by taxpayers.

First of all, just because it's in the Constitution doesn't mean it's a good thing. Unelected Senators are in the Constitution. Hiring quotas are in the Constitution. Enforced bilingualism is in the Constitution. None of those are good things.

Second, he basically says that even though it's not fair, it's his right so to hell with the rest of you. Real intellectual analysis there.

Third, he says that Catholics need their own school systems to teach Catholic values on the issues. I'd bet my entire life on the likelihood that abortion rates per capita among female Catholic teens eclipse those of public school girls by FAR. So much for that.

What I think is most fair would be to have a public school system for everybody with optional religious classes for those who want to take them ... for Catholics, Protestants, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Sikhs ... why not? I totally value my Catholic education but let me tell you, for all the above posters' talk about values, when I return to the town of my youth and go to church with my folks, I don't see a single person from my grade there ... or the grade above or below me, for that matter.

It's time to treat all religions as equal and stop giving prefential treatment to one faith just because it's politically expedient to do so.

1 Comments:

At 12:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bluevale was a great experience. I'd like our kids to go to Catholic elementary and then go to a public highschool. There is so much more to learn when there are students from all backgrounds.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home