Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Rock Star: Supernova Week VIII


Ok, a couple of things right off the top. That Supernova song tonight was ASS, and I'm not blaming Toby. It would have been terrible no matter who sang it. I liked last week's tune a lot because I'm a sucker for big 70's arena rock choruses, but this was just awful. One thing that has worried me right from the start is who is going to write for this band. In the Crue, it was Sixx/Mars who did most of the writing, while in Metallica it was Ulrich/Hetfield. As for G n' R, Gilby Clarke hasn't written or even co-written a single original tune by that band, and his solo career is basically a joke (see here and note the lame "The Roots of Guns n' Roses" project from 2004). If the tune they played tonight is a sign of things to come, I shudder to think at how many people are going to be hauling their Supernova CDs to the local used CD store in a couple of years or less, and how many more used CD store owners are going to flat out say no thanks.

This brings me to Delana. This chick is getting quite an ego. Although she's got something that is truly magnetic when she's on stage, she annoyed me when she played with the aforementioned Mr. Clarke and totally kissed his ass by saying that it's always been a lifelong dream of hers to play with him. Someone had a lifelong dream to play with the only member of the Use Your Illusion tour lineup who's not in either Velvet Revolver or today's version of Guns n' Roses? Please. Also, when she did The Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again", she supposedly claimed off-camera that she didn't even know that song. That is frickin' unforgivable for someone who thinks they're worthy of fronting this group. So, when she slagged Ryan's excellent original song from last night and also ripped on the others in the house during the presser, she didn't do herself any favours, and in my opinion, she could have used some. Thumbs up to Lukas for taking the high road and staying above the fray. Dilana better keep on delivering the goods vocally or else the fans will slowly start to turn on her.

Patrice, one of my faves, got sent home tonight. Her original tune last night wasn't my cup of tea but I know that this woman has stardom within her, it's just a matter of tapping into it consistently. In terms of pacing, intensity, range, pitch and delivery, I think she's got one hell of a package and if one of her bands ever comes to my town and does a club gig, I'll be the first one in line to buy tickets.

Magni's "Fire" was INCREDIBLE. It is great to see him getting away from this modern rock vibe (Radiohead, Bowie, Coldplay) and just crank it out. I still don't like this guy for Supernova but I can see why he's come this far. Personally, I think he'd probably be a better candidate for a band like INXS but it's one year too late.

Toby? Meh. Hot and cold.

Returning to Ryan, he said that his original tune was from his old rocker days while his more tortured stuff is who he is now. That leads me to wonder if Ryan is really suited to this band. Maybe two or three years ago, but now he's perhaps just too damn sensitive to keep it up.

Still loving Storm and I think that I'm rooting for her above all of them. Not perfect, but neither is this band. Anytime you see a hot gal like her doing some quality Aerosmith like she did this week, you just have to love it. It would have been too much for her to whip out a harmonica and just crush the ending of "Cryin'" because I would have totally freaked out. She could be flying under the radar so keep an eye on her - a potential top two finish if Dilana keeps shooting herself in the foot, although Lukas is the man to beat. He demonstrated poise this week that I didn't think he had in him, but it's getting close now and he's playing it smart.

As much as I HATE reality shows, after eight weeks, this little mix of rock, psychology and competition has now officially become must-see TV.

3 Comments:

At 7:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Road hammer, I could not have agreed more with your statement about Supernova (ie.,performances, band history , songwriting capabilities and egos etc etc etc). As I was reading your comments I said to myself,"finally someone who agrees with me" lol..I really was not surprised at Dilana's oops but most people will forgive her. And she will probably turn into the rock star people love to hate. I believe she will have a long and sucessful life getting caught with her foot in her mouth or how did she put it "I'm too honest" please. I believe under all that tough exterior is an insecure woman that maybe able to dish it out but I don't think she can take it. She can front a band, but I think her voice has no extended range and sounds the same on everything. I shudder when I hear people comparing her to Janis Joplin. In your dreams they must be high. However, Storm on the other hand can take it and dish it out. For example: The age question in the beginning of the first show. She's 4 years older than dilana and 7 years younger than the oldest member in Supernova. I don't see a big gap there... Not to mention she looks better and younger than most of them up there. She is able to take criticism for her actions without backpeddaling. And she is accountable for her actions. She can be trusted. I would want her watching my back as a band mate. And she's got her ego intact. It still fits through the door. She would be the best in my opinion for this band. Although something tells me they will end up with a guy or Dilana. I too now have to watch this show to the end. Peace out

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger David MacLean said...

I didn't see the second supernova song but I saw the first one (with the dancers on stage *shudder*) and I have came to the conclusion that the singer they are looking for does not exist in that group.

If the band played GNR style or mettallica-esque music, delana would walk away with it.

But from that song, I believe they are looking for david lee roth.

In fact, I believe he is available.

 
At 4:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reading these kind of posts reminds me of just how technology truly is something we cannot live without in this day and age, and I am 99% certain that we have passed the point of no return in our relationship with technology.


I don't mean this in a bad way, of course! Ethical concerns aside... I just hope that as the price of memory drops, the possibility of uploading our memories onto a digital medium becomes a true reality. It's a fantasy that I dream about almost every day.


(Posted on Nintendo DS running [url=http://kwstar88.livejournal.com/491.html]r4i ds[/url] DS SurfV3)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home