Monday, August 21, 2006

Monday digest


- Former Toronto Blue Jays superstar Jesse Barfield was the victim of domestic violence this weekend. Why do you care, you might ask? Quite frankly, I don't, but it gives me an excuse to post this absolutely golden retro pic.

- Want to get off the Canadian terror list? According to these MPs, you just need to kidnap a couple of Israeli soldiers, use civilian shields during warfare and accept blood money and arms from Iran.

- Other nuttiness today includes this proposal to strip the citizenship requirement for Canadian Forces recruitment. Why not just speed up the citizenship processing times for permanent residents who have committed to joining the Forces upon receiving it, as has already been proposed by Rick Hiller? If they do proceed with the "no citizenship necessary" idea, I hope their screening process is airtight because I think a lot of people would be concerned about the loyalty of potential recruits if they are not Canadian. Our NATO allies could also be expected to be concerned with such a scheme, and rightfully so.

- I saw this in my local Chapters-affiliated bookstore and thought about picking it up for a good laugh, but I decided to save my money and order "Londonistan" online instead since the bookstore in question doesn't carry it. (On that note, a great article about the bankruptcy of moral relativism here and another about the problems with divided loyalties here.)

- On August 31, the UN Security Council is going to meet to discuss the possibility of sanctions against Iran, who has stated that they are going to continue to develop uranium no matter what the "international community" says. After being suckered by both France and Hezbollah, is Condi going to lose this one, too? She needs to pull up her socks, big time.

- A call for patience in Iraq, here.

- Looks like the far left has Hillary in their sights, which can only be good for the Republicans.

- Finally, the ugly reality of the bling factor.

3 Comments:

At 2:22 PM, Blogger David said...

I believe Barfield had the best arm of all time in baseball. I remember watching him, from the wall at Exhibition Stadium, routinely throw out guys at the plate who had tagged up at third.

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger Road Hammer said...

This leads to a question I've had for a while: do you folks actually click on the linked articles I build into my points?

A lot of times my arguments are made within the context of the hyperlinked press clippings I track down and provide.

I want to make this blog as informative, intelligent and fun as possible so any feedback on structure etc. would be appreciated.

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger David said...

I appreciate the links - I usually read or scan about a third of them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home