Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Rock Star: Supernova Week IX


If this week's Supernova happenings was a chapter in a novel, I'd title it "Dilana's Trip Up Her Own Ass". I don't think the fellas would be able to handle her self-absorption for an entire tour, and the less said about this entire mess, the better.

Ryan, Tori Amos with a dick, went home. I think it was too little, too late for that guy. He'd rather read Cosmo anyways, so perhaps that's best.

Magni? I'm surprised he didn't make the bottom three. He's solid, but I think that it's fitting that he did a Live track tonight because he's so in that mold.

Lukas is growing on me. Of the remaining male "rockers", or contestants, if you will, he's got the weakest voice - too Raine Maida for me. However, I like his cool, calm and collected attitude, and plus, he openly stated that he doesn't like Nirvana, which is great in my books because for about a decade after they became critical darlings, both guitar solos and catchy melodies were at a premium. I think I know what the band sees in him, though, and it's the pout. It's Jagger-esque, and this trio of forty-somethings love that. Great job on the new track, which I liked, too.

Toby? He's good, but he's got to find his groove consistently. I see him more as an extra in a surfer flick rather than as frontman for this band.

And Storm ... she's who I'm pulling for. Despite a few vocal imperfections, this woman was born to be on stage. "Helter Skelter" was awesome, and I don't really care for that song to begin with, so that's saying a lot from my vantage point. For everyone who is saying there's no way the guys would have a female singer, why the hell not? This project is going to be one album and one tour, max, after which the band will disappear and the vocalist will go on to a solo career. Having a gal out front would be fresh, ballsy and would piss a lot of people off, and isn't that what rock is all about?

2 Comments:

At 12:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Storm's solid. Contrary to the band, I think she nailed that Evanescence tune. I found all six to be excellent last night. The best show I've seen yet. I like Tobie alot. Great attitude. Lukas is pure talent but may be too deep/weird for these guys.

What's Motley been saying about their tour with Aerosmith in the fall? Who's the drummer? Perhaps it's that dude they picked up from Red Deer the night Tommy went down with wrist problems. How great would that be?

If I were to go, I'd be selling myself to the house band and try to start my own thing. How amazing are they?

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger Road Hammer said...

House band kicks ass. Tommy is still going out on the road with the Crue this fall ... he's rehearsing with them on his days off from the show.

I suspect SN's tunes are already written and recorded, they just need to get the new singer into the studio to lay down the vox.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home