Thursday, June 22, 2006

The Sparks St. Chicken and Rib Cook-Off


The hallmark of summer in the nation's capital is the annual Sparks St. Chicken and Rib Festival. I headed down there last night after work for some red meat served up on a styrofoam platter. In the interests of time, I ordered from a Fort Erie, Ontario operation that had a short line, wishing that I could have waited out the guys from Houston next door, but alas. Although the meal overall was very good, the meat was not warm enough and the sauce was downright cold. It was still great, though, and I hopped in a cab to zoom home to the strains of Kenny Chesney's "I Go Back".

Today, I did just that at lunch.

This time I ordered from a group that was supposedly from Kansas City. I say supposedly because they had the radio tuned to French folk songs. No matter. This rib and chicken combo was vastly superior last night's fare, and how often can you say that the second meal in a row eclipses the first? Not too often, and that's the sign of an excellent, excellent meal. What enhanced this one as well was the side of creamy coleslaw that I got this time around, and before all was said and done, it was off to Laura Secord for a scoop of bordeaux cherry in a sugar cone befor heading back to work.

What a treat.

On till Sunday.

Overall rating: 9.5/10

2 Comments:

At 10:27 PM, Blogger David said...

Yet another reason why Ottawa is one of the world's great cities.

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger Skeelo said...

I hit it for lunch today. Had a half rack of ribs and a pulled pork sandwich from the guys from Alabama. Ribs were great but not astonishing. But the pulled pork sandwich was out of this world. Well worth the trip and ivestment of time in line.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home