Saturday, June 17, 2006

Album Review: Rock Kills Kid - "Are You Nervous?" (2006)


I took a chance on this disc after hearing first track "Paralyzed" last week on "This Week in Baseball" when they did a montage of amazing defensive plays to it. After a couple of dowloads later, I decided to pick the entire album up, thinking that any band that has a lead-off track with the same title as a Kiss tune has to have something going for it. And while they're not incredible, they're not too bad.

Melody-wise, this band is in the vein of the 80s revivalist acts like the Killers. The best analogy I can think of is a cross between the Northern Pikes and Duran Duran. Production-wise, this album is mixed by Mike Shipley and has the fingerprints of a professional all over it. Multiple guitars and sprinklings of synth all over the place with lots of hi-hats moving things along.

This isn't the best disc I've purchased all summer, and I'm not sure if I'll be going back to it in a year's time, but it's fresh and that counts for something these days.

Overall rating: 7/10

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home