Saturday, April 01, 2006

Restaurant Review: Pubwells, Ottawa, ON


After downing a couple of pops with the bride last night after work, we rolled into Pubwell's to celebrate my buddy J-Mac's birthday which is coming next week. I've been regularly darkening the door of this fine establishment for the better part of three years now thanks to the recommendations of my good friend Riley who used to live just down the street. Let me tell you, I haven't looked back.

The signature dish at Pubwells is the much vaunted and affectionately known $12.95'er. The $12.95er, which was once the $9.95er when I started going there, is a 12 ounce steak with your choice of fries, Caesar's salad or both. Sauteed onions and mushrooms are also provided as is a nice little serving of garlic bread to top things off. I've been to Pubwells over 20 times and I have to say that I've only ever had the $12.95er. Obviously, it keeps me coming back. I've also been told that the pizza is just delicious, and last night the fish and chips were also a big hit. I've also had the wings, nachos and fries over time and each was far beyond your regular pub fare that's found at the Royal Oak or Local Heroes.

Now, I have had a couple of $1295ers over time which did disappoint but batying .900 is an average that anyone would be happy to take. Also, last night, my beer glass had just come out of the dishwasher and was a little warm. However, as a total package. with friendly service, an inviting neighbourhood atmosphere and prices that are right up my alley, I can't really complain.

Come on down to Pubwells and experience what I don't hesitate to call Ottawa's best kept secret for yourself.

Preston near Somerset.

Overall rating: 9.5/10

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home