Saturday, December 17, 2005

Canada's state religion

I proudly display both a Canadian and American flag decal on my car which is basically my way of giving the middle finger to the high priests of Canada's state religion, anti-Americanism.

Here's a letter to the editor from today's Ottawa Citizen on the same subject which I think is bang-on.

Re: Keep US out of election, envoy warns, Dec. 14.

In 1994, my husband, children and I moved to the United States to follow my husband's work. I chuckle now when I recall how naive I was: I lived in fear that we would be carjacked, murdered, or meet some other terrible fate from gun-toting, agressive Americans.

After all, hadn't we been bombarded by stories like this from our Canadian news reports? But the situation wasn't nearly as bad or widespread as we were led to believe. I learned an important lesson: Do not be quick to judge based on other people's opinions. My family and I quickly discovered that Americans are upstanding, decent and generous people, for whom we have the utmost respect.

Over the nine years we spent in the US, we heard only positive comments about Canada from Americans. When they discovered we were Canadian, they offered compliments and stories about Canadians, family connections, travelling and vacationing in Canada, and much more.

In contrast, during visits to Canada, we were accused of being traitors, and anything good we said about the United States was met with defence.

With all due respect to Canadians, having lived in both countries, I think that many Canadians have a big-brother complex when it comes to the United States. Of course we hear more about them than they do about us - they are a superpower, after all.

After years of hearing anti-American sentiments from Canada and its politicians, and particularly in light of recent comments by Prime Minister Paul Martin, it is understandable that Americans have finally had enough. I know I have.

Our family likes the United States, its citizens, and the many friends we made (and still have) there. We might not agree with every decision made by the US administration, but we do respect the administration and what it stands for. The United States is a country that stands by its convictions and values, even when those decisions are unpopular and the cost is great.

I find if difficult to comprehend how people can be so critical of a country that gives so much.

I applaud Ambassador David Wilkins' comments and am angered and embarassed that he felt the need to speak them. The United States has been a good neighbour and friend, despite disagreements.

This letter is my way of showing support and friendship for the United States. I hope more Canadians who share these sentiments will also stand up and be heard. God bless America, and Canada, too.

Nancy Olenic
Kanata

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home