Sunday, August 05, 2007

Album Review: "Hospital Music" by Matthew Good (2007)

A tortured and ill Matthew Good has released the followup to the sub-par "White Light Rock n' Roll Review", which was a huge disappointment after the back-to-back-to-back trifecta of "Beautiful Midnight", "The Audio of Being" and "Avalanche". Is he back on track? Not 100%, however, it's getting there. (I fully recognize that Good couldn't give two craps about what I or anyone else thinks, but I'll cut him some slack because from all reports this album is intended to be more a diary than a comeback.)

Lots of light and shade here, with few venomous scorchers along the lines of previous tracks like "The Future Is X-Rated" or "Anti-Pop". Instead, with tracks about a golddigging ex-wife and addiction to prescription meds, among other things, this is probably Good's most Radiohead-esque record, a band that he has sometimes been accused of ripping off, unfairly in my view. This is the first disc on which I can hear the similarities for myself, and is somewhat fitting given what inspired it.

If you're looking to get into Matt Good, I wouldn't start here, but if you're already a fan, you'll probably find it to be a solid pick-up. I remain firmly in the fold.

Overall rating: 7.75/10

7 Comments:

At 10:03 AM, Blogger yusufyusuf said...

ewet seni anlıyorum... geçmiş olsun yani başka ne dimm kii. di mi ama... diyecek bişe yok... geçmiş olsun...
www.yusufyusuf85.blogspot.com

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger greenchief said...

Hammer, very surprised to hear you're a Good fan, considering his half-assed (in my mind) brand of social commentary.

This is the type of preachy, quasi-political musician that I would have guessed drives you nuts.

Interesting review.

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger Road Hammer said...

The man writes a good tune. What more can I say?

 
At 6:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is extremely interesting for me to read that article. Thank author for it. I like such topics and anything that is connected to them. I definitely want to read more soon.

 
At 12:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep on posting such stories. I like to read articles like that. By the way add some pics :)

 
At 3:49 PM, Anonymous college board said...

Having read this material, I have learned for myself a lot of the new. Thanks

 
At 6:09 AM, Anonymous buy dissertations said...

I suppose that in the years since the Matthew Good Band's disbanding, Good has pursued a solo career and established himself as a political activist and blogger.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home