Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Wednesday digest

- Former Labour MP George Galloway, friend of the Toronto Coalition to Stop the War, CUPE and the Canadian Islamic Congress, has been booted out of the British House of Commons for taking oil-for-food money from Saddam Hussein and using it to fund campaigns against both sanctions and an invasion of Iraq. Short story here, long story here.

- Al-Qaeda has established a beachhead in northwestern Pakistan.

I think it's time for a fly-over.

- I'm 32 years of age. The good thing about that is that I'm perfectly positioned to make a fair bit of cake during my prime earning years. The bad thing is that the welfare state is going to take an increasing chunk of that income - who knows how much? - because we haven't reformed entitlement spending.

Meanwhile, it looks like Norwegians are about to launch a tax revolt of their own.

- Yesterday, I blogged about the declining consumption of newspapers, and commented that I think it's a generally negative trend. More on that subject here.

- If some Americans don't want to buy health insurance, why should they have to?

- Last summer, I warned my female readers about wearing those massive Nicole Richie-type sunglasses because in fifteen years, you'll look back on pictures of yourself and cringe. This summer, I have to say the same thing about crocs. And while I'm on the subject of things I don't "get", how about Harry Potter? (Then again, I once said about ten years ago that there would never be a country CD in my player, ever, and look at how that turned out.)

- Here's a sensible article for Ottawa readers concerning what to do with the soon-to-number two empty stadiums in town.

3 Comments:

At 10:00 AM, Blogger Skeelo said...

Ms. Skeelo and I have friends in Denver who know the guy who invented Crocs. We actually met him through them and when he told us about his idea we thought "How the hell are those ugly things ever going to take off?" More proof I really shouldn't really be in the business world.

As an adult who has read all the Harry Potter books I can say the appeal for me is the descriptions of what is essentially an alternate universe. I respect any writer who can develop another world, language, society etc. in their book (why I respected Tolkien. Didn't like the books though). Harry is also a character who has overcome a lot more diversity in his life than most lead characters in "adult" books. The books are about kids but they are not written as kids books. My two cents anyway.

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger mix tape said...

Lansdowne is one of the many ugly central Ottawa pieces of architecture that need to disappear. It's not only ugly but also costly to maintain. I'm sure excited Glebe residents can't wait to see the end of it as their overpriced properties will even more increase if the city decides to throw in condos there.

 
At 6:40 AM, Anonymous pay to write essay said...

Actually the United States health care system relies heavily on private health insurance, which is the primary source of coverage for most Americans

 

Post a Comment

<< Home