Sunday, June 03, 2007

Live Review: Cirque du Soleil - "Kooza" - Montreal, QC, June 2, 2007

Yesterday afternoon, Mrs H. and I drove two hours east to the Old Port of Montreal to see the latest Cirque du Soleil offering, "Kooza". This was my second Cirque experience, and thankfully, it was much better than my first - the nonsensical "Delerium".

Upon reflection, I'm guessing that "Kooza" is about a little boy who receives a present one day which turns out to be a real, live jack-in-the-box. Soon, he's introduced to a fantasy world and is eventually crowned its king. Now, as long-time readers will know, I deal strictly in reality, so I can't be sure, but I think that with most Cirque products, what passes for a narrative is secondary to the music and stunts, and this production was no exception.

The soundtrack was a pulsating, driving affair which sounded like a melange of Peter Gabriel, David Bowie, Enigma and world music, and the stunts - well, they blew me away. Body contortionists, trapeze artists, balanceoirs, magicians and acrobats all pulled off things that I could describe to you that you'd just have to see to believe.

Cringing, I was left speechless as these adrenaline junkies bended the limits of human physicality, risking permanent injury (if not death) and demonstrating mind-blowing concentration in the process. After each exhibition, you're going "how are they going to top THIS?!?", more than making up for the lame "plot" as well as what the show tried to pass of as humour, which included some unfortunate performer wearing a dog costume and licking the main character along with some eccentric professor-type character going around whacking audience members on the head with a plastic piece of steak.

Leaving that aside, this was an incredibly amazing spectacle that I'd recommend to anyone simply for the sheer shock value. Definitely worth the price of admission.

Ratings:

Plot: 2/10
Humour: 1/10
Music: 8/10
Stunts: 17/10

Overall rating: 9.25/10

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home