Thursday, February 01, 2007

Album Review: "Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not" by Arctic Monkeys (2006)


OK, so this album was at or near the #1 spot on most best-of lists for the year 2006, which automatically made me suspicious right from the get go because most other critical darlings from years' past like Metric and Jack Johnson utterly sucked in my opinion. Therefore, I really wanted to not like this record, but in actual truth, I don't mind it. Imagine if the Sex Pistols really knew how to play their instruments, and you'd have Arctic Monkeys. What it sounds like is Johnny Rotten on top of a band like Franz Ferdinand or the Killers. Certainly something that we won't be looking back on in 20 years and comparing with other debuts like "Appetite for Destruction" or "Boston", but certainly half-decent - and I'm well over the age of 30.

Overall rating: 6.5/10

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home