Thursday, August 03, 2006

Rock Star: Supernova Week V


Song for song, this week was the best one the entire group, except for Jill. Her screechy, over-the-top version of "Don't You (Forget About Me)" on Monday left me thinking that her next stop was going to be recycling old Headpins tunes - the most underrated Canadian band EVER - and passing them off as her own at Coney Island beach bars, and we wouldn't see her again until the inevitable "Girls of Rock Star" Playboy spread. But alas, she managed to impress with Heart's "Alone" last night and saved herself for one more week. (Here's hoping we hear a little "Magic Man" before this is all over, which fans of the movie "Swingers" will remember provided the soundtrack for the infamous sequence of events in the Airstream. But I digress.)

As for the other two members of the bottom three, Dana's version of "Baba O'Riley" on Monday was very, very good, but I think that it was just a matter of time until she got kicked off anyways due to her age and look, both of which do not fit with the travelling circus that is bound to follow this rag-tag band of forty-somethings on the road. And Patrice, who I thought did an incredible version of "Higher Ground" on Monday, found herself under the microscope once again. I think she has Dave Navarro to thank for that, he basically said that there are only three of them who can cut it in front of Tommy Lee, and implied that she's not one of them. Give her a break, Dave. Tommy has been playing for 25 years and this was her first time in front of an audience with the guy on the skins. I'm a big fan of Patrice and I still maintain that if they pick Storm or Dilana for this thing, they ought to invite her into the band to play second guitar and backing vocals. And I'm sure Gilby will be able to use the songwriting help.

The rest of them? Dilana needs to show that she's more than what we've seen so far. She's fantastic, but I think she could be a little bit one-dimensional, especially in contrast to the fantastic Storm who demonstrated with Bowie's "Changes" that she's able to do light and shade as easily as she can tear the roof off. I also really, really liked Zayra's "867-5309". As dislikable as Zayra is, I have to hand it to this chick. She takes risks and believes in herself - that, I have to admire. I think the fans might be reluctantly coming around to her a little bit (and I'm sure that she'd jump at the chance to appear in "Playboy", too.)

Skunk-haired Lukas had to eat some humble pie this week as his performance of "Celebrity Skin" was underwhelming. It was good to see that the guy isn't just all ego. I think he'll go far in the competition, but I'm not really into the androgyny thing, personally, so I really hope they don't pick him when all is said and done.

Ryan's "Losing My Religion" was a nice twist, as was Josh's reggae-tinged version of the Sublime tune, but again, it's just a matter of time with these two. Magni and Toby have outside shots at it, but despite what the band says, I find Magni to be too vanilla and Toby has really only had one good week (when he did "Somebody Told Me".) I liked Magni's metallized version of "Clocks", though, while Toby's dance with the girl in the crowd was too clichéd for me (Jon Bon Jovi or Robbie Williams, anyone?) especially after Dilana's performance where she sang "Can't Get Enough" from Supernova's platform.

My top three this week:

1. Storm
2. Ryan
3. Patrice

Honourable mention: Dana - she's just too Alannah Myles for Supernova.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home