Monday, February 13, 2006

Monday afternoon ramblings

- Thank God Al Gore lost in 2000.

- I think a lot of Fareed Zakaria. Here, he tells us why Europe is facing a major demographic and economic crisis which is only exacerbated by overly generous welfare states, while this article argues that EU countries are doing fine in comparison with the US by, well, not comparing them to the US. I know where I'd invest my money, and it isn't overseas.

- This guy's forthcoming book is going to be a must read.

- Niall Ferguson says the central-planning comeback in Latin America could spell trouble for the US.

- Interesting companion piece to what I wrote yesterday on respect for faith here from Cathy Young. I think the kind of thoughtful questioning and criticism that she writes about is what we need more of instead of gratuitous mockery of faith, like what constitutes a lot of "art" these days. Again, that's not to say that I think that riots are an acceptable way to respond - those who are "offended" should come up with a stronger, more intellectually robust defense of their practices and beliefs. The Muslim world needs to learn how to do this instead of just bashing Israel and the States every chance they get instead of tackling their own problems.

- My early pick for the '08 GOP ticket: McCain (AZ) and Sen. Lindsey Graham (SC).

1 Comments:

At 4:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Al Gore, as always, is spot on.

However and more importantly, I sincerely hope you're right about McCain/Lindsay '08. That would be a dream ticket.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home